Event 1: Metaphors on Vision: Fims by Stan Brakhage

Stan Brakhage's "Metaphors on Vision" questions preconceived restrictions on vision and instead looks to change the way in which we view things so that we see objects in their truest of forms.  Before going to the viewing, I was unsure of what I would see and whether I would enjoy it; however, the films were really interesting as they were unlike any films I had ever seen. They initially seemed quite weird but I soon came to realize that Brakhage was trying to create a new and different type of film that contradicted the usual methods of cinemotography. For instance, I believe that Brakhage hopes for us to see things in the way they were initially created, rather than describing things with human made language such as "red apple" or "green grass".  These objects cannot be described as just one simple color, but rather a spectrum of different descriptions.  After watching the piece, it helped me further understand the previous weeks of viewings and reading we have had in the class.  By attempting to look at things disregarding the way humanity has labeled them, I have been able to see objects in a more abstract way.  Incidentally, by doing so, I was also able to see just how large of a divide has formed between the "two cultures" of art and science despite how closely intertwined and similar the two are.
Cover image for film which questions the
way we view the simple moth
This film has lead me to believe that science is just another form of art. Looking at the two concepts without a name to label each one, I notice that there are actually severely similarities to the two.  In both forms, you have humans who experiment with all different types of objects in the hopes of creating a masterpiece.  Whether this be a painting or an science experiment, both ends hope to succeed.  Scientist is just another name for an artist.  Both are trying new things.

Located int the Hammer Museum,
the Billy Wilder Theater, named after legendary screenwriter,
producer and director Billy Wilder, host many cinematic pieces
Brakhage's films hope to demonstrate the unreliability of human vision and perception.  He hopes that by destroying generated labels on objects, that we will be able to see things as they really are in nature rather than what has been established as the norms of vision.  This film really has effected the way in which I really see the world and I would recommend this event to anyone who seeks discomfort in discovering something new about the world and possibly themselves.  These films have enlightened me to look at the world with a different and unique perspective rather than conceptualizing objects that I see everyday. Everything is unique and we shouldn't describe similar objects the same way.  Instead of using our vision to answer the simple question of "what is that object I am looking at", we can use it to see nature in its most rich and creative form.
Confirmation Ticket for "Metaphors on Vision" at Billy Wilder Theater

Comments

Popular posts from this blog